The Death of the Typewriter?!?

My own 1936 Royal brand typewriter, recently home-repaired.
I heard last week about the death of the typewriter, that the last manufacturer in India was stopping production.  I thought this seemed odd, but being that it was on NBC Nightly News and that it was all over Twitter (#RIPtypewriter) that surely, the old machine was dead.  Nope.

While looking for more information about the end of typewriters, I found an article from the Chicago Tribune that told me what I thought was true: electric typewriters are still being manufactured. 

I'd seen enough around offices to know better than to believe they would simply disappear.  The truth is that manual typewriters are no longer being made.  So if they stopped making stick shift vehicles, would you be so quick to tout the death of the automobile?  Not likely.  Possibly this has more to do with the smart-phone-using, ever-tweeting population that wants to believe we're "out of the stone age."  Unfortunately, while many of these people might be using smart phones, they're not driving smart cars.  In my opinion the fact that our vehicles can still get less than 30 mpg says more about our society than the ability to unshackle ourselves from typewriters ... but that's just me.

To read the Chicago Tribune article by Rex W. Huppke, click here.

Comments