Image Search

Recently, in order to complete another project I was working on, I had to run a Google image search.  The results were so odd that I just had to share them in this YouTube video.


Somewhere along the way, I decided I'd be happier with the video if it looked like I'd recorded it on a VHS tape.  Why?  I don't know.  In fact, it made my usual, enjoyable experience a multiple-hour, self-imposed torture chamber.  Somewhere between my high expectations and my older, mostly no-frills video editor, I set the bar higher than the output capability of my encoder.  Translation: What looked good on screen looked like garbage once it uploaded to YouTube.  Eventually, I figured out how to trick my older computer system, my older video editor, and my YouTube account into pumping out the result I wanted.  I'll either remember that sequence for next time ... or never ever attempt that effect again.

The whole point of this search was that I needed the image of several major credit cards: VISA, MasterCard, and Discover.  Surprisingly, if you want to advertise your affiliation with these companies, there doesn't seem to be a universal link where you can download an official image for any of them.  So while Twitter and PayPal say something like "Please don't link directly to this image," the major credit companies would rather see their older, outdated logos used rather than provide the current one.  Their marketing fell down pretty hard there.

The video I was working on was this one for Jackie's Nails in Mattoon.  I have to thank my friend, Vince for aggressively hunting me down to film this for him.  I enjoyed the result but found myself frustrated by my loss of knowledge and ability for helping him plan the project.  Most of this can be attributed to being out of the professional loop for the last two years.  I'd forgotten that half an hour of work can go into every second of final footage.  60 seconds on-screen means 30 hours of work.  I remembered it being more straightforward.  At any rate, here's that video:


Originally, I was thinking of making a video about my new camera equipment and complimentary programs.  It's something I've been thinking about since I bought my new camera last year and maybe comparing it to my old 35mm camera.  On the other hand, I came up with a rather bizarre idea for a cartoon short that would falsely explain the origins of the Easter Bunny.  I'd seen a few odd, late-70s/early-80s cartoons that were a bit preachy and strangely mythical in their storylines.  I imagined it'd be like that.  Coincidentally, YouTube is telling me they've set up a new function to let you animate your own story.  We'll see.

If anybody out there has a preference or a suggestion, let me know.  I really appreciate all of the comments on here, Facebook, YouTube, and in-person.  That's what makes creating this stuff fun.  So thanks to all of you!  And with your suggestions, I'll put out something else pretty soon.

Comments