Good Morning, Sunshine

The morning sun in my window.
One of the main problems I've faced since graduating college is getting a good night of sleep.  This was particularly difficult once I started working at night.  Sleeping during the day was extremely difficult for me, especially after using a nasal steroid for my allergies.  There's nothing like extreme summer heat and heart-racing medication to ruin your sleep pattern.  So you'd think going back to days would improve my rest ... right?  Sort of.

I think part of the reason I didn't snap back right away was that my new day job doesn't have any windows.  When your workplace setting could just as easily be in outer space as underground, there's not much opportunity for your brain to realize that it's either day or night.  I'd gotten used to sleeping with heavy curtains, but now think leaving the blinds louvered just enough for early morning light.

So with my sunlit brain now online, I'm hoping this is the start of something good in my new year.  If I can figure out this whole daylight-in-daytime thing, I might be able to help my new baby figure out the difference too.  In fact, I've blogged so little since my wife and I found out we were expecting, that I haven't even talked out it here.  So here's a picture.
This photo was taken at 13 weeks.  No, we still don't know what we're having.  I find it totally bizarre that you can use these ultrasound devices to see the baby's brain and heart and even its still-developing teeth, and yet we can't see any definitive gender.  
"Well, we haven't found a penis.  It could be a girl."
Seriously?  That's like telling me, "Well, we didn't find 4 doors; it could be a truck."  I don't blame any technician for not being able to find recognizable girl or boy bits.  Mostly, I think I blame my unborn kid.  It's probably a preview of very stubborn things to come.  We're due March 3, and I'm sure we'll find out everything we need to know then.  For my wife's sake, I hope it's not a screaming, colicky kid.  My mom knows I deserve that, but I don't think my wife does.  Here's crossing my fingers. Enjoy the sunshine.

Comments

A Small Bird said…
I know exactly what kind of kid you want and I hope you get it, I think you deserve it and'll be a good Daddy.
Brandon said…
Thanks for the comment! :)